I recently finished reading the newest book by Don Miller (the author of Blue Like Jazz). It's called A Million Miles in a Thousand Years and discusses the importance of living life as if it's a story. As I was reading it, I just sort of blew through it - you know, to see how fast I could read it - but now that I've finished it and had time to process it, the core idea of it has really hit me. The question we should ask is: What do we want our story to say? If someone were to pick up our story a hundred years after we're gone, would we want that story told? What would it say?I know that in life, we get caught up with all sorts of minor details... A test tomorrow. A final paper due in a couple weeks. What we're having for lunch...
But what would it mean to stop for just a minute and think about the big picture? How do these little moments fit in to the larger scheme of things?
I encourage you, first, to read this book. And second, I encourage you to think throughout each and every day in every little moment how this - whatever this is - fits into the story you want to tell. Or perhaps more importantly, the story that God wants to tell - through you.
No comments:
Post a Comment